Wednesday, March 28, 2012

NASA releases new details on next SLS rockets


NASA is fine-tuning its design for the new Space Launch System (SLS) that will send astronauts to the moon, asteroids and possibly Mars. Basically there will be three main types of rocket, the Block 1, Block 1A and Block 2. Block 1A and Block 2 will both have a crewed and a cargo variant, so that's a total of 5 models. The most important difference with what was announced last September is that the main core stage will now have four or five RS-25D/E Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSME) instead of three.

Block 1 will have two 5-segment Solid Rocket Boosters (SRB) and one core stage with four RS-25D engines burning liquid Oxygen and Hydrogen. It will be able to put 70 metric tonnes (mt) in Low Earth Orbit. The vehicle model number is VCR 10002.

Block 1A will be the same as Block 1 but the two SRBs will be replaced by either Advanced Composite SRBs or by liquid-fueled boosters (to be determined in 2015) and the main engines will be RS-25E (cheaper, non-reusable version of the RS-25D). It will put 105 mt in LEO. Model numbers are VCR 11002 (cargo) and VCR 13002 (crewed) for the ones with SRBs and VCR 12002 (cargo) and VCR 14002 (crewed) for the ones with liquid-fueled boosters.

Block 2 will be the same as Block 1A but with a second stage with one to three J2-X engines and possibly five RS-25E Engines on the first stage. It will put 130 mt in orbit. Model numbers are VCR 21002 (cargo) and VCR 23002 (crewed) for the ones with SRBs and VCR 22002 (cargo) and VCR 24002 (crewed) for the ones with liquid-fueled boosters.



The first flight of the SLS Block 1 rocket, called Exploration Mission 1 (EM-1) is still scheduled for 2017 and will send an unmanned Orion MPCV capsule around the moon and back. The second flight, EM-2 will also be a Block 1 and this time it will send a crew of 4 astronauts around the moon (but no landing). EM-2 is scheduled around 2019. The Block 1A should come in service between 2019 and 2021, and Block 2 sometime after 2021.

Planning is also well underway for a 6-month long mission to send astronauts to an Asteroid more than 12 millions miles away in the 2020's. Such a mission would be a stepping stone towards the ultimate objective of sending humans to Mars.

The SLS rockets are not designed to send astronauts to the International Space Station, as this would be overkill for such a big rocket. Accessing the ISS is a task that should be accomplished in the near future by private space companies like SpaceX and their Falcon rocket and Dragon capsule. Nevertheless, if those private companies were to fail to deliver on their promises, a SLS Block 1 could easily (but expensively) do the job.




SLS Block 2 Dimensions

Here is a cool video from NASA that shows a CGI animation of an SLS launch:



The Block 2 SLS will be the biggest rocket ever made:




Via [nasa]
[Nasaspaceflight.com]

8 comments:

  1. I believe with SLS and the Orion capsule we can make it back to the moon, go to Mars, and into the stars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get Your Wife Back, Perfect Urgent Love Spell. Am Karen Renee from FL Usa All Thanks To Dr Osasu Who Brought Back The Love Of My Life. my girlfriend cheated on me and asked for a breakup. I don't believe at first i try to get back with her but all she told me was she’s with someone else. that she is no longer interested in marrying me at that point i was heart broken because i love my girlfriend so much that i could not let go off her all of a sudden she left me, i really love her and never can imagine my life without her. not until i came across a powerful real spell caster Dr Osasu who promise me 24hours urgent love spell to get back with my girlfriend, good twenty-four {24} hours. hmm-mm, it was a good night time at 11:pm within the days that Dr Osasu told me that my girlfriend will be back, at first i heard the bell rings getting close to my door i heard someone saying honey!!!, it sound familiar i opened the door and i saw my girlfriend standing and weeping in front of me. i was not surprised because its all i have been praying for her to come back home. Guess what 2 weeks after she noticed her system and her body temperature was changed and i took her to clinic for check up and the doctor told me that there is life in her which means she was pregnant i really wants to use this opportunity to thanks Dr Osasu so much and the love page that directed me to Dr Osasu if you have any problem getting your ex back, or predicament that is worse or exactly like this you have been into, contact Dr Osasu on drosasu25@gmail.com You can add him up on Whats-app/ Or call +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my name is Chloe Elizabeth I'm from USA i want to testify of a great and powerful spell caster my husband left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn't pick up when he came back home the 3rd week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called Dr Osasu who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 24hrs and my husband will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my husband came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy together Dr Osasu can help you too Email him at

    (drosasu25@gmail.com)

    WhatsApp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my name is Chloe Elizabeth I'm from USA i want to testify of a great and powerful spell caster my husband left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn't pick up when he came back home the 3rd week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called Dr Osasu who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 24hrs and my husband will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my husband came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy together Dr Osasu can help you too Email him at

    (drosasu25@gmail.com)

    WhatsApp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...